Amazon is the biggest bookseller in the world. And their author publishing programs tend to be quite user friendly. If you market books or DVDs, you’ll find the following quite enlightening.
In days past, it wasn’t uncommon for a book publisher to only pay a token royalty (or commission) to the author. Some were as low as 5% of the selling price. The book had to be a huge success in order for the author to make a fair share.
Amazon’s program, offers a whopping 45% commission and they finance and do everything up front. But,thebusinessdailyan enlightened author can benefit from Amazon’s programs and earn 85% or more for the same book and receive, pretty much the same benefits as the 45% program.
The program Amazon charges the 55% commission for is called the “Amazon Advantage program.” (* See reference link at end of article)
Under the Market Place program, your item is listed and found on Amazon’s search engine and can be purchased using their unique 1 click purchasing system. Amazon makes the sale, collects the money and pays you once you’ve shipped and the customer receives the actual product. (** Link to complete Marketplace program below)
Marketing on Amazon’s Market Place Program
The primary difference between the requirements for their high commission (to them) Advantage program, compared to the Market Place program, is the latter requires you to get an ISBN number. This isn’t expensive and not difficult to do. We’ll cover that point later in this article.
It’s free for you to sign up for the marketplace program and a fairly easy to do. Here’s the three step process:
1. List your book or DVD. Provide the ISBN, ASIN, or UPC number. Click on the “Sell Your Stuff” button and follow their menu for instructions.
2. Ship your product to the buyer. Amazon will email you all the details of the sale including the buyers shipping instructions.
3. Amazon pays you the item price collected, including the shipping fees, and just deducts their small fee and commission.
As you can see this is a very simple process and a win – win for both Amazon and the author.
There are many advantages to this Market Place Program.
• It’s easy for buyers to locate your product through Amazon’s search tool
• Customers can instantly order through their standard account including the One Click ordering system
• Amazon handles all payment collections and processing
• You’re only paying Amazon less than 15% commission
• You have a wide range of products you can market under this program, including new and used products.
• Builds your customer list since you get the buyers name and mailing address.
• It’s free to join the program and you have no fees until you sell something and collect the payment upfront.
• Amazon makes it easy to control your inventory. You can add to or remove products from your inventory at your discretion.
The big difference between the Advantage and Market Place programs is the requirement for the Market Place seller to get an ISBN number. The ISBN number also gives the author that air of sophistication and professionalism, unlike most of the self-published books by rookie authors today.
The advantage plan can be done without the expense of the Bar Code. But would you be willing to give up over 70% of your commission on Amazon book sales to save a small amount of upfront money on the ISBN costs? At least you have a choice in this matter.
To find the best price on an ISBN number, use Google’s service and just type in ISBN. Several services will be featured offering assistance to acquiring your ISBN number starting as low as $55.
This simple & cost effective method for having an ISBN number assigned to your work lists “Independent Publisher” as the publisher within the major bibliographic databases.
This program is ideal for self-publishers selling directly to consumers. Price starts at $55 for 1 ISBN & bar code.
Quantity discounts available. The Publisher’s Service offers:
• Author retains ownership and copyright
• “Independent Publisher” is listed publisher
• Title submission for listing in Bowker’s Books in Print
• Digital bar code (eps) provided
• Unmatched Phone Support – Talk to a real person
You’ll find whichever program you decide on, the Advantage or Market place program, you just can’t find a better publishing opportunity anywhere. Not only do you get the order processing and publishing services from Amazon, the biggest and the best, but their worldwide marketing capabilities, for no real upfront costs (except for the ISBN fee).
* Link to Amazon’s “Advantage” program – http://www.amazon.com/advantage
** Here’s the link for completer Amazon Market Place information:
Bob “MAVERICK” Stanford (known as “The Maverick Entrepreneur” is a published author, host of the “Maverick Entrepreneur” online and cable TV show, and former newspaper columnist specializing in unique and Maverick income opportunities.
At age 65, his clients have consisted of nations, international businesses, and now his focus is on small work at home online and local offline business people. His TV show helps aspiring entrepren